Thursday, April 16, 2020

"For your name's sake"

I was reading a devotion the other day, I think by John Piper, can't remember. The main theme was "for your name's sake" (or a variation thereof). The devotion referenced scriptures such as Psalm 23:3 that says, "He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake".

Recently, I have been praying about something and asking the Lord to intervene in a situation. This morning, as I was finishing up my workout, it struck me, "Why do I want God to intervene? Do I want him to intervene to alleviate the struggle? Do I want him to intervene to bring relief? Or, am I asking God to intervene "for his name's sake" and "for His glory"?

That was an "aha" moment. While God is our Father and wants us to bring all our petitions to Him and we all want relief when going through times of difficulty, I wonder about my own deeply held motivations in asking God to intervene sometimes. Thankfully, God's mercies are new every morning (my devotion this morning) and in my weakness, his strength is made perfect.

Father, let the motivations of my heart's desires truly be "for your name's sake".

No comments:

Post a Comment