Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fruit

Matthew 12:33-35 "...for a tree is known by its fruit..."

If the "fruit" coming from the tree of my life is not matching up with the "fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16-26), what does that mean?

At least two conclusions:

One, either I'm not a Christian. Sure, even a non-Christian can have a "flash" of "common grace", but nothing sustainable can ever be produced by "human effort and willpower" alone, at least not in any true spiritual sense.

Or...

Two, I'm a Christian who is temporarily and miserably (note the word "temporarily") not walking in the Spirit. We all stumble (slip up) at times when we are off our guard (James 3:2).

A very convicting question for me from my devotions this morning: "If you have children, what would they say?"

Am I walking in the Spirit? Am I being led by the Spirit? Am I being influenced by the Spirit? Am I yielding to the Spirit? Am I obeying Jesus?

What kind of "fruit" is being produced?

No comments:

Post a Comment