Friday, June 20, 2014

Late Night Rain, Morning Run, a Sunrise, and 3 Rescues

I went out for a longer run this morning. I knew it was going to be a better run today because I remember waking up to some sprinkling of rain drops once during the night. That meant cooler temperatures for the run, and I was right, a cool breeze all along the flat road.

And, then came the sunrise. I was listening to Pandora on my run, and just as soon as I turned off Lyman Rd. onto Fountaintown Rd, over my shoulder I could see the sunrise. And, at that moment, the first verse of 10,000 Reasons began to play: "The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning, it's time to sing your song again."

Lamentations 3:21-26 has come to mind in the moments since the run.

"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

The "salvation" of the Lord, the rescue of our souls from the wrath that is to come. There were two rescues along the run today. Two turtles would have most certainly found death, but I helped them get to the other side of the road. But, the greatest rescue was my own salvation when Jesus died on a cross in my place and for my sins. That's the third rescue and the most important. While that rescue took place over 30 years ago, the reality of its truth is new every morning, especially this morning.

That is the "faithfulness of God"---"it's time to sing his song again."

As mama would often say, "Praise the Lord and bless his good name".

No comments:

Post a Comment