Thursday, April 25, 2013

CJD

CJD stands for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. This coming Saturday, my sisters and I will be walking/running in a 5K in Clemmons to help bring awareness to this disease and help raise money for research. Unfortunately, I've learned more about the disease than I ever wanted to know about 5 years ago. CJD is the disease that took the life of our mama in June of 2008. It's really hard to believe it has been almost 5 years. Can't even write this without tearing up. God has been so gracious in helping us along the journey since mama died.

At the present time, there is no cure for the disease. You can read more about the disease here. It is a neurological brain disease where bad proteins begin to eat the good proteins. Some have compared it to mad cow disease because some of the symptoms are very similar.

If you are so inclined, you may check out the CJD Foundation and give a donation to the research. Or, you could give a donation to the Gideons in her memory.

There is no pressure here whatsoever; it's just been on my mind ever since we decided to run/walk in the race and I thought I'd share a bit.

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment