Monday, April 9, 2012

Time, part 3 - Husband

One of the arenas of life that my role as disciple obviously intersects is my role as a husband to my awesome wife.

God has given me a grand stewardship opportunity as a husband. My responsibility to love, serve, protect, and lead my wife is paramount to the cultivating of a good, healthy, and godly marriage. The relationship that my wife and I share must take priority over every other human relationship in the world. Yep, even over our children. God gave Adam and Eve to each other before he gave them children. Unfortunately we have made children into idols in so many ways in our culture. Don't take that the wrong way ----- I love my kids ----- all three of them!

Investing in the life of my wife is absolutely essential to the health of our marriage---investing in things that she likes.

1 Peter 3:7

Certainly, because of Adam's dufus move in the garden by not protecting his wife from the serpent, marriages are hard work and sin is always involved. There must be a lot of grace, compassion, and forgiveness demonstrated and extended in our marriages. Guys, we must take the lead in investing and loving and serving our wives. If that means giving up our hobbies (which really can amount to adultery if you really think through it), then so be it. If that means watching a chic flic instead of a Jason Stathem "kill everybody in your path" one, then so be it.

Investing goes beyond just those things. It includes investing in the spiritual life of your wife------probably the most difficult thing in the world to do. Don't know why, but it is. Praying with your wife, reading scripture with your wife.......why? I have no idea. It's difficult for me. Time to make a change.

How is our stewardship, men, of investing in the lives of our wives? How is the gospel being demonstrated in our marriages? Man, I need to pray something serious for all this. I have a lot of work to do by God's grace and His Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 15:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment