Monday, January 16, 2012

Hearing the Call of God

I read this from Oswald Chambers this morning:

"The call of God is not a reflection of my nature; my personal desires and temperament are of no consideration. As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God. But when God brings me into the right relationship with Himself, I will be in the same condition Isaiah was. Isaiah was so attuned to God, because of the great crisis he had just endured, that the call of God penetrated his soul. The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves. And we cannot hear anything God says. But to be brought to the place where we can hear the call of God is to be profoundly changed."

What struck me this morning was the reality that "the majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves". Wow! We are so in tune in our culture of finding ourselves and listening to our inner voice that we forget the only voice that matters, God's.

Jesus told us to abide in Him--a consistent communion with himself by the Holy Spirit.

For many people, the extent of their Christianity is a one hour a week ritual without any communion with Jesus Monday through Saturday. But, I wonder, is that even real Christianity, biblically? Probably not, maybe an emphatic absolutely not!

Oh, that our souls would yearn for the voice of God in a culture that is constantly beckoning for our attention. May we long for the "voice of truth" from the one who is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment