Monday, April 5, 2010

The Heidelberg Catechism

I began reading last week a book by Kevin DeYoung as he summarizes the Heidelberg Catechism in short readings; one for every Sunday.


I just read number 2 about the depravity of man, what the Catechism calls misery. Then, it goes on to use Matthew 22:37-40 to bring our attention to the reality of that "misery" in that we cannot even follow these two laws to perfection--we fail, and we fail miserably.


The Catechism asks the question, "Can I live up to all this perfectly?"


The answer (stunning): No. I have a natural tendency to hate God and my neighbor.
Wow! Hate, really? That's strong.


Kevin says, "the first thing we need in order to experience the comfort of the gospel is to be made uncomfortable with our sin."


Yes, we need to know the "misery" of our sin and its effects upon us. Then, we may gaze upon the crucified one who paid the "misery" I deserve and respond in worship and praise of His indescribable gift of grace.


Kevin will probably never read this, but thanks for making something like readable in small chunks. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment